Real Estate Room Reno

Wednesday, June 4, 2014


A few weeks ago I got an email from my aunt that said: "I know you love this house. They are subdividing the property and the price has plummeted to $495,000. Think of all the reno projects you could undertake!!! (Notice I didn`t cc Chad on the message……)."

Oh man, does my family know me (and Chad) well! Unfortunately this house will probably never be mine despite my best efforts at convincing Chad. It's out of our price range even with the price drop, it's pretty far out in the middle of nowhere and it needs a lot of work. So after all the effort I've already put into mentally renovating and decorating this house I though I would start a new feature where I find a home that has tons of potential and create a mock-up of one room to show you how it can go from questionable to move-in ready. 
Up first, my beloved historic home...

Unique 1786 4-bedroom ancestral home on large lot on Ile Bizard with no rear neighbours. Thick stone walls and historic architecture create a charming atmosphere. Large yard is surrounded by a cedar hedge, and has many mature trees. Located 30 minutes from downtown Montreal, and close to 3 Golf Clubs and Bois-de-l'Ile-Bizard Nature Park.

Bedrooms: 4
Bathrooms: 1 full/ 2 half
Year Built: 1786
Asking Price: $495,000

This house is truly unique, Chad and I have driven past it on our way to my aunt and uncle's and I always try and peek past the stone gates. Here are few more pictures from the listing.







While the outside is charming (that sun room is so good), the inside obviously needs some work. The room that I've chosen to redo first is the large open living room (the kitchen would be my next choice).



The floors look to be in good condition and the stone fireplace is certainly a focal point. I also love the beams. What I don't love is the stippled ceiling, the pine paneling and the new-looking door. I know a lot of people would argue that the pine is original and adds warmth and charm. While I'm all for wood paneling I'm not a fan of knotty pine. I'd update this space to look less like a cabin and more like an eclectic French bohemian country house. I envision this space divided into areas and defined by various antique Persian rugs- a place to sit in front of the fireplace, a cozy reading nook and another small conversation area.  Here were a few of my inspiration pictures:

Via 
Via
Via
Via
Here is my mock-up of the space with a refinished ceiling, painted paneling and trim, a new (old) door and the weird small bookcases under the windows removed. 




Hello country manor! Now to decorate.. in order to give this room a subtle bohemian flair I was inspired to use an antique rug, vintage furniture and a restrained palette. I didn't want it to feel too 'french feminine' so I added brass, caramel leather and some mid-century clean lined chairs and a daybed. 



Okay, I don't know about you but I'm ready to settle in for a cozy night in front of the fire in my country home. What do you think? Does this help you envision what the room could look like? Do you have a room in your house you'd like help figuring out? Check out my services page so we can start working on creating your very own mock-up. 



3 Response to Real Estate Room Reno

Emma
June 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Those chairs! Number 7, what are they? LOVE love!

June 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

The amount of zeroes on the price got me... but, oh god, is this place awesome or what?!

I love the moodboards. They capture the spirit and feel of the house. I'm stunned.

http://taleofthegreat.com

June 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Thanks Emma and Lesia. The chairs are also expensive-just like the amount of money you'd need for the reno.
http://shop.chairish.com/collections/club-chairs/products/milo-baughman-cube-lounge-chairs-a-pair

Oh well, a girl can dream.

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger