Kitchen Ideas-Round Two

Thursday, April 30, 2015

So.....we still haven't sold our house for anyone who's wondering. Apparently everyone thinks it's too small. It's not small-IT'S COZY PEOPLE! I'm trying not to spend all my waking hours obsessing over what we should do to try and sell it and I suppose, like Chad says, I should leave that to the real estate agents. Well, that's easier said then done so in order to distract myself I'm spending my time in the most therapeutic way I know how....making pinterest boards and obsessing over what I want in my next kitchen.

When we moved into our current house the biggest job we (Chad) did was to completely gut the kitchen. You can read about the plans here and see the process here to finally get to this:



Hey there shiny kitchen! 

While it's hard to say what we'll do to our next kitchen without knowing where our next kitchen is, I know we (Chad) will have to do some kind of renovation as I rarely like what's in our price range. Even though I love our kitchen there are few things I'd do differently the next time around.

Change:
High Gloss Cabinets- they were Ikea ABSTRAKT in high gloss white and grey (which seem to be similar to the new SEKTION cabinets in ringhault high gloss grey) and they show any little smudge or fingerprint. 
Tile Floors-I'd also love to have continued the wood floors into the kitchen. 

Keep:
Our quartz countertops are amazing and have held up to Chad's abuse. I love the built in microwave, the seamless cooktop, the ice-maker and the garbage disposal.

In terms of the style of the kitchen, I've made a little round-up of some kitchen trends I wouldn't mind using in our next space whenever or wherever that may be:

Via: 1, 2, 3,
This is a classic for a reason. If this next house is a house we plan on staying in for a while, maybe I should keep it classic and timeless. I love this combination mixed with brass and black. How amazing is that modern black light fixture in the top photo! Nothing says timeless and classic more than marble but would a Chad-kitchen survive marble? Would every little etched mark kill me or make me want to kill Chad? One of my favourite designers Orlando is redoing his boyfriend's condo and aptly named the project Orcondo. You can see his plan for the space in image three. I can't wait to see all the marble and brass goodness in that one. 

Via: 1, 2, 3, 4
Dark, coloured cabinets are still going strong. I love the look in our kitchen but would definitely go with a painted finish rather then high-gloss this time. I'm loving black, navy blue or army green and may be ready to take the plunge and paint both the upper and lower cabinets. The Remodelista outlines the pros and cons of soapstone (via number 4) and it seems like the only real con is that it is prone to nicks and scratches but it sure does compliment a dark and stormy kitchen.

Via: 1, 2, 3, 4
Patterned tiles are another trend that continues to have a place in my heart. While it may not be neutral it is still a classic as many of these patterns have been made for centuries. If you love patterned floors and haven't started following I Have This Thing With Floors on Instagram, you are missing out. So much patterned floor eye-candy!


While cement or encaustic tiles are the most traditional, there are some recent ceramic tiles that have all the pattern at a fraction of the cost. Lark & Linen Interior Design gives a few sources here




Via: 1, 2, 3, 4
A white kitchen with the warmth of wood-another good option! You can use a little- like on an island- or a lot-like all of your bottom cabinets. I like the modern look of mixing the white and wood so that it's a traditional update. Fingers-crossed I can get an island in my next kitchen.

Via: 1 & 3, 2, 4
Now this is an option that would also involve lots of smudges and marks but it may be worth it to have a gorgeous industrial style kitchen. The key is to mix in rustic elements like worn wood. The Remodelista lists how to get steel the look with Ikea components here

I obviously haven't narrowed down any of my choices but it looks like I may have some more time to mull this over. What about you, which kitchen trend are you loving? Would you incorporate any of these into your next renovation?


2 Response to Kitchen Ideas-Round Two

May 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I would totally buy your house! It's seriously so amazing. I'm definitely digging the graphic tile trend. I would love to see you do something like that in your next place! Good luck!

COOCOO FOR COCO

February 5, 2018 at 2:53 AM

Nice blog post thanks for sharing it.


Modular Kitchen Manufacturers in Bangalore

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger