After seeing quite a few tutorials online like Kathleen's and 4men1lady's we (again I mean Chad) decided to give it a shot. Chad did all the measuring and taping and I did all the painting. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (probably because I didn't do the measuring and taping) and I really loved the end result.
We also changed out all the 'boob lights' with industrial outdoor lighting I found off Amazon.com. I think they were maybe $20 each. You see similar light fixtures sold as indoor lighting in specialty lighting stores for hundreds of dollars. The vintage dry cleaning sign was from Etsy.
So that's it for our first round of renovations. Round two we tackled the countertops, changed the kitchen backsplash and repainted the main level.