A Trip to Quebec City

Sunday, September 21, 2014



As promised last week I've compiled my photos from our trip to Quebec City with Chad's parents. If you don't like slide shows of 'My Summer Vacation' turn back now ( I won't blame you) but if you're not exactly ready to start Monday and would like to day dream about visiting the 'Europe of North America', let's take a little trip to a city right in my backyard. 


Quebec City is the capital of the province of Quebec and about a 3 hour drive from Montreal. The city is actually listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Treasure. I had forgotten since my last trip in high school just how charming the city really is. In my defense the legal drinking age in Quebec was lower and let's just say a bit more lenient than in Ontario-so we weren't actually excited about sightseeing). While it is touristy in certain areas there are also many out of the way quiet moments to be had and lots of inspiration in the old stone buildings and streets.

We spent two days just strolling around, so my pictures are in mostly in the order that we walked. I only found this after but if you're interested in a walking tour Frommers has two for Upper and Lower Town here. Or you could download an itunes one here. Or you could be like us and just stand near English speaking tour groups for more information. 


We stayed at the ChâteauFleur de Lys, which was a small boutique hotel right next the Château Frontenac. It had soaring ceilings, beautiful moldings and a marble fireplace in our room. The designer in me was itching to make some changes in order to really make it shine but the view alone was worth it. 




Chad and his Dad enjoying the view




The Fairmont Le Château Frontenac is one of the cities landmarks and has recently been restored to blend historic and modern features. I would recommend having a drink at the hotel's 1608 Wine and Cheese Bar overlooking the St. Lawrence river. 




The restored lobby- I love the blue coffered ceiling


The lobby bathrooms were also gorgeous. Nothing like marble on marble on marble with a side of herringbone pattern. I think everyone in the bathroom thought I was crazy (Chad's Mom did ask me what I was doing) but I feel obliged to document a beautiful bathroom when I see one. You're welcome.


Sitting area outside the bathroom-Gold AND fur! 





Rue du Tresor-outdoor street gallery


Obligatory tourist shot







Listening in to tour groups


Feeling like I could be in Europe











The city of Quebec has a semi-permanent public art exhibition running until the middle of October called Passages Insolites or Unusual Passages. Delirious Frites (above) is one of six city-mandated public art installations on display in Quebec City's Quartier Création.

The artists say they chose pool noodles as their medium to encourage people to touch and interact with the exhibit.  You can read more about it here


Our final stop on the first day, Place Royal -the oldest stone church in North America. Just add some gelato and you can almost pretend you're in Italy (almost).



View from the Citadelle


More drool-worthy homes and maybe yet another paint colour option for our cottage?



Walking around the Citadelle


Touring a military exhibition as part of the Citadelle and  Royal 22e Régiment and look-it's the same Emergency Drinking Water we have!



Our last stop before heading home was Montmorency Falls . The falls are suppose to be 30m higher than Niagara Falls and if you're into strenuous hiking you can walk up all those stairs - or you can park near the top, cross the suspension bridge, turn around and make fun of the people climbing.


So that was our trip - congrats if you've made it all the way to the end and weren't planning your own trip in the near future. That being said, if you aren't planning your own trip you should be! Unless you're European - I'm still confused as to why there were so many European tourists. Maybe it's like visiting a frontier town for you? As your reward for looking at all my pictures, here is one more photo of Chad and I looking serious and dapper.




3 Response to A Trip to Quebec City

October 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

These pictures are really cool! I love the view. Maybe someday I'lol get to go there too ;) Canada rocks!

October 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM

You should come to Canada...and for sure go see the Rocky mountains and the East Coast. Well, and Quebec too!

October 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I've been in Canada for a month when I was 8 years old! I had the best time :) I think you got an interactive center for kids somewhere (like a museum), it has all kinds of stations like countries and you play with everything and get stamps in a fake passport. Know a place like that? :)

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger