Exterior Update

Tuesday, September 2, 2014



If you remember back to this post  I made a list of all the exterior updates I wanted to make on the front of the house. I also joked that I probably wouldn't get around to these updates (or at least showing you) until the end of the summer...and I was so right! I am however pretty impressed with what got done. Let's take a look, shall we?





Yeah! So much less strange Greek isle blue and so much more neutral cottage charm. Let's go over what I did and didn't do:
  • Paint shutters and planter box-CHECK! The shutters are painted a shade darker than the roof colour- Behr Exterior Satin Enamel in Dark Granite and I love it. The planter box is painted the same white as the rest of the house-Sico Exterior Paint in Natural White and I think it allows the bright flowers to really shine- P.S. thanks Mom for helping me pick and plant everything.
  • Paint door fun colour-FAIL! I could not decide on a door colour. I even put up samples but am now debating whether or not a colour will highlight the fact that the door is off center? 
  • Paint over brown brick on side of house-CHECK! I wasn't sure about this one but boy am I glad we painted over it. I don't understand why there was decorative brick on the side of the house in the first place.
  • Remove blue outdoor carpet from stairs and walkway-CHECK! That carpet was gross but it turns out it was hiding a huge crack in our front steps. Now we have another project.
  • Remove awning from side of house and concrete steps-CHECK! and FAIL! It was ridiculous to have an awning over nothing so Chad ripped it down, finally getting rid of the last of the blue. We also painted over the newly filled in door but we didn't remove the concrete steps. I'm not sure now that we will as the expense may not be worth it. Right now the steps lead to the laundry line which would have to be moved.
  • Plastic planters gone-CHECK! That was kind of an easy one.

All in all I think that's pretty good. You'll notice we also changed out the house numbers and light fixture and I brought my indoor citrus tree outside. I also added some additional shrubs and planted flowers for the first time in my life. I'd  also just like to let you know that I officially hate gardening and yard work. This past weekend I was raking leaves (booooo Fall!) and Chad was cleaning out the car and I had to stop and take a moment because it made me feel super old to be spending my weekend doing something so boring. Anyway, there is our exterior progress after year one in our house. Have you tackled any projects around your place? Are you one of those weirdos who likes yard work? Do you have any door colour suggestions for me now that the rest of the house is updated? Do share!

1 Response to Exterior Update

September 15, 2014 at 7:08 AM

It looks so much better without that blue! I think the house would look good with the door painted in a fun color. Might as well highlight the quirks instead of trying to hide them, right?

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger