Bedroom Update

Wednesday, June 18, 2014



As promised after the last bedroom post, this update doesn't involve any pictures of me in pyjamas or tourist photos but it does involve something equally gross-bedbugs! Right after my post about the first bedroom reveal too! I think I got them from a hotel in Germany. You'd think it would have been from all my weird second-hand finds but nope, a five star hotel.

While I'd eventually wanted to replace our homemade headboard , I'd wanted to save up and either get a not-homemade one or use our newfound skills and make a better one. Now, I still don't know if we actually had bedbugs or not, I am crazy allergic to everything and it's not unusual for me to have hives over any little thing, but once I got it in my head that we could have them - the first thing to go was the headboard. I even had a guy come and do an inspection. He didn't see any evidence of bedbugs at that point but did say that they love to live in fabric headboard...see you headboard (don't worry we disposed of it properly so no one else would take it)! Once it was gone I tried living without a headboard but our bed was always rolling away from the wall and pillows were falling into that gap. I started scouring Craigslist and Kijiji for a non-fabric headboard. I found a 'vintage Ikea' (that makes me laugh) one for $30 that had a great natural texture and then added a few new items to update the room.

I thought I'd do a quick memorial for the old headboard and show you how I've incorporated several bedroom items in three separate set-ups.


Our first Montreal apartment and the room the headboard was built for. Since the room had such high ceilings we made the headboard quite tall to fit the space. Here is 'old velvety' again (below)  in our new house where it honestly felt a little cramped. I used the same bedding as in our apartment with some additional sheets.


While it was okay, it wasn't great. Because the ceilings are lower, we couldn't use our side table lamps and instead mounted the sconces that had previously been in the dining room. The headboard was so tall though that we had to mount the lights pretty high which wasn't ideal. It was still an improvement on the room when we first moved in as evidenced in the real estate listings.


Our new 'old' Ikea bed frame allows us to go without a box spring, which lowered the bed making it closer to the height of our mid-century modern side tables. The only other things I changed or added are new sheets, rattan blinds and I finally got around to hanging some art. TADA! Better fit and bedbug free...











So what do you think? Maybe the bedbugs where a good thing? No, they are still gross and thank god they are gone. Here are few of the sources or similar sources for our bedroom:

Paint Colour: Behr 'Restless Sea'
Headboard (similar): Pier 1
Duvet Cover (similar): West Elm
Moroccan Blanket (similar): Amber Interiors 
Sheet set: Target 
Sconces: Onefortythree
Sea urchin wall decor: Target 
Gold wall hangings (similar): Etsy
Side tables (similar): West Elm
Drapes: Ikea
Blinds: Home Depot
Chair: Ikea
Vintage botanical print (similar): Etsy
Floral artwork: Chapters Indigo or Rifle Paper Co.




6 Response to Bedroom Update

June 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Such an amazing home Sarah - you guys have done a great job and I have found some navy blue inspiration myself!
www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

June 25, 2014 at 6:08 AM

What a beautiful transformation! Can I ask what color (brand name and paint name) you used on the walls? It's beautiful! I'm hoping to paint a wall in my kitchen that color. Thanks!

Kelly
June 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM

This room is absolutely gorgeous! I was going to ask about the paint color as well, love that shade of blue!

June 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Thank you Everyone!
I've updated the source list to include the paint colour- it's Behr 'Restless Sea'

July 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Designer bedding sets
Awe-inspiring bequest! Your blog is attention-grabbing. I feel affection for it.

January 21, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Essen Pest Control is among one of the top companies in the pest extermination industry. With 20+ years of experience & trained technicians.

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger