The Bathroom Reveal

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It's the bathroom reveal! The bathroom reveal you've been waiting forever for! Okay maybe you haven't really been up all night wondering when I was going to finally show you my bathroom but I'm pretty damn excited. If you remember back to my first update HERE , we did a short term fix by painting the walls white and removing any vestiges of 'granny-chic' doilies and curtains. I'm not kidding, the bathroom had curtains-see the proof below.

Then we had an unplanned renovation after we found out the toilet was leaking and had rotted the floor all the way down to the sub-floor (you can read all about that HERE). While it's not the gut job I had originally envisioned I'm quite happy with how it turned out and I am actually kind of glad we kept the retro charm of the blue and black tiles. It's obviously not going to be a shocking before and after because honestly it looks at though the new floor and sink have always been there but sometimes that's a good thing.





Despite my mistake of not cleaning up the black grout as quickly and as thoroughly as I should have, I'm still in love with my new floor. My Mom visited on the weekend and pointed out that it's the same floor my Grandma had in the pink and black bathroom in her house. A bathroom I always loved. I'm also glad we decided to go with a black border tile around the perimeter of the floor to tie into the black wall border. While we lost some storage space with a pedestal sink (Chad still doesn't want to talk about the installation and the extra work he still has to do to reinforce it) we still have plenty of room to store things in both the mirrored cabinet and the 'hobbit hole' and it visually opens up such a small space. 


I'm also really happy to say that I think it's very hard to identify the tiles that we had to match and replace. Good thing we still have 80 left in case something else goes wrong.





I hope you enjoyed seeing what we hope is the last renovation for quite some time, at least until we can save up some more money to overhaul the basement. I'll have to show you some pictures just so you can appreciate the faux wood paneling, the outdoor carpet and the movable bar. I still have a few new reveals in store and Chad has some tech tips to share so stay tuned. I'm off to Chicago for the long weekend here in Canada but I will be sure to take lots of pictures and fill you in on the all the amazing architecture, food and shopping.



26 Response to The Bathroom Reveal

Signi
May 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

As always your hard work paid off, both of you! Love the black and white tile, I grew up with a bathroom with b&w tiles

May 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Usually when I come across a new blog I check it out real fast click it away and never come back again. A visit on Brownie started the same way via sfgirlbybay. I scrolled on to more posts after the house make over and really stuck in to the post about the bathroom. I red the whole article, which doesn't happen occasionally, and something about the way you write the simplicity of showing the process made me stuck to this story and curious for how the bathroom would turn out. Your humoristic, adventurous style of writing (about chad and all the things that go wrong) kept me coming back to Brownie and even made it to my favorite list of blogs. I just want to point out that it doesn't happen so often that I'm so hooked on a renovation project especially on a blog alike so many others. Well I guess your blog is different then ;) keep up the good work, I really love the result! Kind regards from Holland.

May 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Thank you Noortje,

I appreciate your kind words and hope I can continue to share posts that you want to stick around to read. I guess that means I'll have to make Chad start another project, I know he can't wait!

Sarah

May 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM

NOOOOOOOO!

May 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM

so great!!!

June 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

It's beautiful!! I love how you kept the vintage tile and added that stunning floor. The pedestal sink is perfect, even if you have less storage. I think it was an excellent decision.

June 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM

That leak may have come as a surprise, but thankfully it was dealt with quickly. Congratulations on the success of your bathroom reno! Now I realized that everything really has a brighter side once you put some work into it.

Kurt Verdejo @ Total Plumbing

June 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Thanks again Tanya,

In the end I'm super happy about how it turned out. Sometimes I think the best projects are the ones with limitations.

Anonymous
September 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Hi Sarah, I came over from Apartment Therapy. I absolutely love how your bathroom turned out, and think that keeping many of the original features was a great choice. One question though - where did you get that shower curtain?

September 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I love this! It's pretty much an exact replica of my bathroom in my 1910 home, though yours is in much better condition.
I did have a question about replacing the vanity with the pedestal, did you have to move pipes? Both water and drain come from our wall, and I think I'd have to move the drain to put in a pedestal. It looks like your drain also is in the wall, was it an issue?

Thanks!!

September 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for the comments!

The shower curtain is from Target-http://www.target.com/p/threshold-color-block-shower-curtain-black-white/-/A-14246317#prodSlot=_4_3

DomesticoDolceDomestico- I'll have to get Chad to answer that one-stay tuned!

Sarah

September 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

@DomesticoDolceDomestico: Our drain is coming out of the wall, yes, but no we didn't have to move it. Thank god. If we had to move it that would mean taking the wall apart to get at it.

Our water supply is coming from the floor - I did cut the supply off very close to the floor so I could solder some 90 degree angles in in order to get the pipes closer together.

Anonymous
September 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM

How do you keep the water from the shower spray from damaging your window sill and trim? Nice, fresh look in thus redo!

September 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM

The water spray doesn't seem to be an issue-it is caulked really well and we're just sure to wipe it all down after showering. I imagine if you left it wet it may rot.

Sarah

October 24, 2014 at 6:16 AM

This is exactly my bathroom layout-- except some idiotic previous owner painted my tub black and the tiles are a weird yellow. I've been wondering about replacing my sink with the cabinet underneath with a pedestal sink--now I can picture exactly how it will look! Thanks for the inspiration and great job!

October 24, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Hi Amy,

Thanks, I'm glad I could provide inspiration. I wonder if you could repaint or re-glaze your tub back to white? Anyway, best of luck!

Sarah

April 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Love the new flooring! It's a much better match than the previous tiles. Turning up the style with that new shower curtain is a great idea as well. At any rate, the bathroom looks amazing, overall]. I guess finding out about that leak was a blessing in disguise. Thanks for sharing that, Sarah! All the best to you! :)

Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

June 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Hi there! Do you happen to remember where you got that shower curtain?

July 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Hi Carla,

Sorry for the delay. I got the shower curtain at Target-here is the link:
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-color-block-shower-curtain-black-white/-/A-14246317#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=black+and+white+shower+curtain

Thanks,
Sarah

July 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM

What a sleek transformation! The floors look amazing, despite your mistake with leaving the grout longer than you should've. Hahaha! Anyway, the color palette of that bathroom is what captured me the most. Were you inspired by a particular look? It looks awesome! In any way, thanks for sharing that, Sarah. All the best to you!

Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

August 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM

I saw the post about your surprise bathroom, and I quickly scoured your blog for the reveal! It’s good that I did, as your new bathroom rocks! It is well worth all the hard work and effort Chad and you had put into it. Good job!

Levi Eslinger @ CapitalPlumbing.ca

September 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Can you please tell me where you purchased the white and black shower curtain

September 25, 2019 at 7:04 PM

Hi! I think we have the same blue tile as you and are looking for one replacement tile. Do you happen to know what color it is? Thank you!!

October 7, 2019 at 2:28 PM

it looks FABULOUS! so glad you didn't remodel either. what a change a new flooring and new sink makes, wow!

Anonymous
August 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM

Did you change out the lightning? Would like to see your choice.

Anonymous
April 13, 2024 at 12:46 PM

I have a very similar blue tile ( which I love) and wondered how to incorporate the black and white tile…love what you’ve done !!

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger